A Literary Couple, Shut In

 While at work, I heard the doctor and her husband reading aloud in one of the examination rooms. It was Lord of the Rings and they were reading it back and forth to each other urgently. They seemed like they were trying to finish it immediately, but also in one whole sitting. Patients started queuing up in the waiting room to the point where you could only see the tops of their heads and not their faces anymore and they were asking when they would be seen. I could hear them still reading, and I knew that it was still early on in the book so it would still be a while and the patients started getting mad and pushing forward. I started finding chairs and boxes and stacking them in front of the waiting area, but people kept clamoring and asking when they could get in and pushing forward, and I could hear the doctors starting to stack their doorway with boxes from the inside as well. I was walking up and down the chairs and boxes to get more and more to throw in the way of the crowd, but I could see we were being drowned by them. The doctors' voices began to sound desperate. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Cavern, There is Chapúlba

You belong in the record store.

New Norman Reedus Show On FOX